Statement of Counseling Services
Please read the following statements carefully so that you will understand the procedures for the counseling session. For simplification the singular is used even when the plural may apply.
- I understand the agency will provide a confidential comprehensive personal money management interview.
- I understand that the interview will be conducted by a certified consumer credit counselor or qualified professional counselor. All action plans not conducted by a certified consumer credit counselor will be reviewed by a certified consumer credit counselor.
- I understand that in the event I am dissatisfied, I can utilize the Complaint Resolution Process.
- Some of our funding comes from voluntary contributions from creditors who participate in Debt Management Plans (DMP). Since creditors have a financial interest in getting paid, most are willing to make a contribution to help fund our agency. These contributions are usually calculated as a percentage of payments you make through your DMP – up to fifteen (15%) of each payment received. However, your accounts with your creditors should always be credited with one hundred percent (100%) of the amount you pay through us and we will work with your creditors regardless of whether they contribute to our agency. Our agency charges a maximum of $30.00 monthly for the Debt Management Plan with an initial set-up fee of $50.00.
- I hold the agency, its employees, agents, and volunteers harmless from any claim, suit, action or demand of my creditors, myself or any other person resulting from advice or counseling. Nothing herein shall apply to actions or claims under the provisions of the United States Bankruptcy Code, 11 U.S.C. 101 et seq.
- I will be given a written assessment outlining a suggested client action plan which will be based on the following options:
- I will handle my financial concerns on my own. (Including but not limited to those seeking credit report review, mortgage counseling, budget counseling).
- I may choose to enroll in the agency’s debt management plan. Under the debt management plan the agency serves as a neutral third party in negotiating with creditors to liquidate financial obligations.
- Your participation in a debt repayment program will not change anything which is already on your credit report. If your credit report reflects that you have paid creditors as agreed in the past, a Debt Management Plan could have a negative impact on a creditworthiness decision by a potential creditor, landlord, or employer in the future. In addition, creditors may report that you are on a Debt Management Plan and are not paying as originally agreed although they have accepted the reduced payment.
- In the event that the counselor suggests a debt management plan, I will receive complete details of the operations, requirements, and responsibilities.
- You should also be aware that debts to creditors you repay through the plan may be able to be discharged through bankruptcy. Counselors cannot provide legal advice. If I want legal advice, I will be referred for appropriate assistance. While an attorney can make a recommendation to file bankruptcy, it is a personal choice based on individual circumstances.
- I will be referred to the other services of the organization or another agency or agencies, as appropriate, that may be able to assist with particular problems that have been identified.
- At sometime in the future, my information may be used for confidential research and/or a neutral third party may contact me to request an evaluation of the agency’s services.
Financial Guidance Center is a HUD-approved housing counseling agency. We offer the following housing counseling services: default/delinquency, reverse mortgage, loan modification, down payment assistance programs in partnership with the City of Las Vegas, City of North Las Vegas, Clark County, and the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco, and an 8 hour pre-purchase education class. In addition to our housing counseling services we also offer financial counseling, debt management, credit report review, bankruptcy counseling and debtor education, free tax preparation, IRS advocacy program, and group financial literacy classes that includes topics such as budgeting, credit, purchasing an auto, renting an apartment, handling a checking/savings account and various other financial topics.
Available for your review is a list of our industry partners. This list is provided to meet HUD requirements only and in no way represents our endorsement of these companies. Lender and realtor partners are registered with our company specifically for participation in the down payment assistance programs administered by Financial Guidance Center.
As a potential HUD housing counseling client, you are not required to use any of our other services or the services of our industry partners including our approved lender or realtor lists in order to receive any type of housing counseling or education from Financial Guidance Center.